Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Liberal bias of National Public Radio

National Public Radio (NPR) has a non-liberal ombudsman. He scrutinizes the network's reporting in “On Murdoch and Liberal Bias At NPR.” I posted the following comment:
What I note time and again in interaction with those who recite the “liberal media” mantra is that they want their preconceptions to be confirmed, rather than challenged. I want precisely the opposite. I go first to the BBC News each day, and I'll be checking out Al Jazeera English, as another commenter suggested.

I've tried hard to find liberal bias in NPR's coverage. I see virtually none in the straight reporting, but quite a bit in the selection of features. For instance, NPR doesn't provide much coverage of those who say that “the government is taking our hard-earned money and giving it to THEM.” It gives us plenty of heart-wrenching stories about “THEM.” I've gained much more understanding of how the former group distances itself from the latter in Facebook interactions than by listening to NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment